Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Stretch Run

It's September. You know what that means.

It means the Phillies are gearing up for another run at the playoffs!

This is, without a doubt, the most exciting time of the baseball season. In 2007, the Phils won the NL East Division on the last day of the season, and gave this thirsty city a taste of playoff baseball for the first time in fourteen years. Since then, not even a World Championship, followed by a National League pennant have satisfied this fanbase's desire to continue baseball domination.

The first five months of the 2010 season have been quite unique to say the least. Injuries and inconsistencies have made this year's team one of the most up and down I've ever seen. Despite the turmoil, we currently sit three games out of first; a deficit we've easily overcome in Septembers past. I'm not gonna lie though; a big part of me is hugely annoyed at the fact that we have to play catch-up at a time when we should easily be five or more games ahead of the second place team. However, the thrill-seeker in me is really psyched to duke it out with the Atlanta Braves over this final month. I'm looking forward to all the late nights of stomach-turning scoreboard watching as we come down the homestretch of the 2010 baseball season. If we had to go one-on-one with any team in the final month, I'm glad it's the Braves; a team I despise with all my heart, but one I also respect as a worthy adversary. In the end, if the Phillies emerge as the NL East champions for a fourth consecutive year, I believe we will have earned it more this year than ever before.

Let the games begin!...or continue...or something like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment